New York Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If you live in New York and would like to change your name, you will find that the procedure is not as difficult as you might expect. There are two required forms which must be filed with the proper court along with a fee, comprising most of the process. Below is additional information to help you get started.

What forms are required for a New York name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in New York:

  • Name Change Petition
  • Name Change Order

These forms can be found on the New York Court System website, and the NYC-specific forms may be found here.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in New York?

The completed forms must be filed with the county court clerk of the county where you currently live, or with the civil court if you live in NYC.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court can notarize the Name Change Petition for free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in New York?

Yes. The fee is $210 ($65 in NYC). Oftentimes a fee waiver may be obtained with a showing of sufficient financial hardship. Check with your local court clerk.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?Maybe. Check with your local court clerk for more details.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Notice of your name change must be published in a local newspaper. Check with your local court clerk for more details.

Are there any other requirements?

If you were born in the state of the New York, you must have an original or certified copy of your Birth Certificate.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption