New USA citizen. Absence from the USA.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

New USA citizen. Absence from the USA.

I am brazilian and just became an american citizen, but want to go to Europe and stay there for at least 2 years, studying and working (a friend invited me to live with her and I already have a job in sight). I wanted to stay there as I said for a couple of years then come back to the USA to move on with my life. Is it possible for me to stay away from the USA for so many years, will I lose my USA citizenship? Will I have any problems when i enter the USA customs? Or once i got my citizenship I will be able to live abroad for as many years as i want as any USA born american citizen would?

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Immigration Law, Massachusetts


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

As a US citizen, you can live anywhere in the world for as long as you want and you will retain your US citizenship without any problems.  You just need to be aware of the requirements as a US citizen to continue to pay your income taxes and file tax returns in the US as you are subject to worldwide income.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption