New Jersey Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Some legal tasks, such as changing your name, might seem complicated. However, a name change in New Jersey is actually a simple legal task that can usually be completed on your own. The first step is to find the proper forms, then file them with the right court. A fee is required in New Jersey, but it may be waived if you can show that paying would cause you hardship. The information below will help get you started.

What forms are required for a New Jersey name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in New Jersey:

  • Verified Complaint(Form A)
  • Order Fixing Date of Hearing(Form B)
  • Final Judgment(Form C)
  • Proof of Mailing(Form D)
  • Civil Case Information Statement (Form F)

These forms can be found on the New Jersey Judiciary website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in New Jersey?

The completed forms must be filed with the superior court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Check with your local courthouse.

Is there a filing fee for a New Jersey name change?

Yes. The fee is $200. A fee waiver may be obtained using the Fee Waiver form with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court will return the Order Fixing Date of Hearingto you with a hearing date on it.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. You must publish notice of the hearing on your name change in a local newspaper. The judge will specify which newspaper in the Order Fixing Date of Hearing.The notice must be published at least two weeks prior to the hearing. However, notice must only be published once.

Any other requirements?

After the hearing, you will have to publish the final judgment in the paper and submit copies of the certified final judgment to the Department of Treasury and the Registrar of Vital Statistics. You will also need to take a copy of the certified final judgment to the Motor Vehicle Commission, in person.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption