Neighbors pond drainage not working causing flooding to my property what legal action can I take

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Neighbors pond drainage not working causing flooding to my property what legal action can I take

Original owner had pond built and caused a problem which I won in court and it was
stated in ruling that nothing else could be changed about pond does this apply to
new owner as well.?

Asked on March 18, 2018 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, a judgment against person A does NOT bind and is not enforceable against person B. Judgements, decisions or rulings, court orders, settlements in law suits, etc. only affect the people who were parties to--that is, part of--the lawsuit, because only those persons had the chance to defend their interests. Other people who were not part of the suit had no opportunity to protect their rights or interests, and so the law does not apply the case's outcome to them. The new owner would not be bound by the ruling against  the old one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption