Neighbor’s new fence blocking electric meter and dryer vent.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Neighbor’s new fence blocking electric meter and dryer vent.

New Neighbor’s survey conflicts with ours.
Ours shows we have 13′ more space before
our property line. Which in this case is a huge
deal because our kitchen is 12′ away from
what our survey shows as our property line.

In this town you can build a 6ft solid wood
fence on the property line. They built this huge
stockade fence almost touching our house
literally 2′ away from the siding.

This new fence blocks our two electrical outlets
and more importantly the dryer vent now blows
directly into the fence causing blowback. Not to
mention I can now barely access my AC
condenser and even worse, the electrical meter
is blocked.

The town has offered no assistance stating that
their fence permit was approved. New Link Destination
ignoring my points of them not considering the
new fence causes serious potential hazards.

Is this something I have chance of getting a
judge to have them revise their fencing to avoid
these new hazards?

Asked on April 5, 2017 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can bring a legal action (lawsuit) in chancery court (a part or division of superior [i.e. county] court), in which you ask for a "declaratory judgment," or court determination of where the boundary line properly is--and, if their fence is on your property, a court order that they move it. If you wish to explore this option--and be warned, this can be expensive litigation--consult with a real estate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption