What is our legal recourse if our neighbor’s bamboo has broken our fence and they refuse to rectify the situation?

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is our legal recourse if our neighbor’s bamboo has broken our fence and they refuse to rectify the situation?

Our neighbor planted bamboo on top of a 6ft fence we paid to put in. It has pushed the fence out on our side so much so we can no longer close a gate for the dog enclosure. They have ignored our repeated requests to pull the bamboo (3 verbal, 1 written, 1 certifed letter written). We need to fix the gate because we can’t risk our dog getting out (100 lb Rottweiler). What recourse do we have if they continue to ignore the situation? the fence company can’t fix fence until the cause is removed.

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


Keith Betensky / The Law Offices of Keith R. Betensky

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot settle the matter amicably with your neighbor, you may have a common law claim for trespass and nuisance.  However, there are some preliminary questions to consider before proceeding e.g. where is your property line in relation to the fence?  Feel free to contact me for advice. 

This response is for information purposes only and does not consitiute legal advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption