Neighbor built extra window that violate my privacy.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Neighbor built extra window that violate my privacy.

I live in Los Angeles unincorporated areas. About 2 years ago, the house behind
me built a very wide window in in the back of their house–the back of their
house may have been an addition as well, though I’m not sure. It stares directly
onto my backyard and violates my privacy. Is their action legal? If not, is there
anything I can do to make this property take their creepy window down?

P.S. Not sure if this is important, but I live in a townhouse and my property is
located at the very edge of the townhouse’s boundary. And there’s a fence
separating my backyard and that property whose not part of the townhouse.

Asked on August 3, 2019 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You may not be able to do anything: there is no law against a neighbor looking into your backyard, whether from a window or by standing on his/her deck or in his/her yard. A person may look out of their property into other properties: anything that can be seen by them from their property is legal.
If you believe the window or addition may have violated local building codes, you can report this to the town's building or code enforcement department: if there is an ordinance violation, the neighbor could be fined or forced to make changes. Be advised that it is almost certain that the neighbor will find out who complained about the town and this could easily start a "feud" with them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption