What to do if the neighbor behind me has landlocked property and uses my driveway to access their home?

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the neighbor behind me has landlocked property and uses my driveway to access their home?

They speed and are reckless; I fear for children/pet safety. There’s constant travel with bandmates, friends, family and has become a burden. My deed does no list an easement and there are no “easement papers” to refer to. I’ve been letting them use my driveway since there’s no other access, which is at 500ft and runs through my backyard. I’m required to allow them to access their property through mine since theirs is landlocked but my question is: Exactly who do I have to let access? I know utilities, emergency and the owner, but do I have to let anyone/everyone pass through my private property?

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, you need to consult with a real estate attorney about the situation with the landlocked neighbor to see if his or her property is really landlocked. You will need to bring a copy of your deed to the property that you own to the attorney to hopefully resolve the situation.

One option to resolve the problem you are facing is have the neighbor using your property sign a written license agreement setting forth the terms and conditions to use your parcel where the license can be revoked by you as a means of controlling the situation. If the neighbor has no right to use your property, you might want to advise him or her that they need to find other access.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption