Needing help filing divorce

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Needing help filing divorce

I am indegent and looking for help. I have 2 kids who are with their and father he won’t let me see or talk to them.

Asked on December 15, 2016 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can file yourself; there are online forms that you can get and filing fees may be waved dut to your money situation. However, since  custody issues will be involved, you really should havean attorney handle things for you. See if you qualify for representation by Legal Aid. Also, check if there is a law school nearby to where you live since most of them run free/low cost legal clinics. You can additionally contact your county/state bar association as it may have a list of arrorneys who will take your case for free (i.e. "pro bono") or at least for a reduced fee based on your income. Further, you can google local women's support groups in your area because they can sometimes provide a list of lawyerss who can help. Finally, contact the Department of Social Services which may be able to refer you to inexpensive legal services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption