Need to go to maiden name before I remarry and take a new?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Need to go to maiden name before I remarry and take a new?

I was divorced almost 2 years ago in Maricopa
County Arizona and the decree says Ill change
back to my maiden name. My ex didnt care if I
kept my married name for work reasons so I
havent changed it. Now I want to get married
again and was planning on getting a marriage
license in Montgomery county md but am not
sure if I can just go straight to my New last
name or if I must revert back first.

Asked on December 13, 2018 under Family Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can go straight to a new last name. First, you can change Name A to Name C without having to go through Name B--legally any name can be changed to another. Second, the real purpose of the name-change provision in your decree was so you and your ex would not have the same name--that will be accomplished by taking your new spouse's name. So take his name without having to first go back to your maiden name, and congratulations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption