What are my options for getting my name off the mortgage after my divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options for getting my name off the mortgage after my divorce?

While my ex-husband and I were still married. I opened a new checking account in my name only on 9/28/15, I filed for divorce in Tulsa County on 10/2/15, took half the money out of our joint checking account and moved from Tulsa to Missouri on 10/3/15, my then-husband was making the mortgage payment out of our joint checking account and I paid nothing towards it to the present time, divorce was decreed 4/19/16. There is a divorce decree stating the house was awarded to him and I signed a Quit Claim Deed. However there was never a refinance on the mortgage to put the mortgage in his name only, so my credit report shows the loan with Bank of Oklahoma Mortgage, which skews my debt-to-income ratio. I am trying to pre-qualify for a loan and am seeking to find out my options for removing myself from the indebtedness of that mortgage.

Asked on September 9, 2016 under Family Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Since the house was awarded to your husband and you signed off on ownership via the quitclaim deed, he must try and refinance the exisiting mortgage. The fact is that even though you are no longer a legal owner of the property you are still bound on the mortgage and responsible for it. Your divorce does not impact your signature on the mortgage note, which is a legal contract. However, should there be a loss incurred regarding it for which you are held responsible, he would legally be responsible for indemnifying you (i.e. reimbursing you for your losses). If for some reason he is unable to refinance, he could try to get a what is called a "novation". This involves asking the lender to remove your name from the mortgage. From a practical standpoint this is rarely allowed but it is still worth a try. A novation could be accomplished by your ex-husband paying the mortgage on his own for a period of time generally (8-12 months; which he has already done), then if he is current, has no late payments, and can prove that he was the only one paying the mortgage, your lender may allow your name to be removed. Also, he may be able to obtain a novation if he "buys" your release by making a substantial payment to reduce the outstanding mortgage balance. At this point, you should consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area for further advise.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption