Need advice.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Need advice.

My son was hit by a truck when he was 3. We sued and there was a Trust fund set up that he could access when 21. He is now 21 and lawyer contacted him and said he would just go to the bank and get the check and then my son could meet him and get it. It went in at $5000 and after 18 years incurring interest he says the amount is only $6000. He said he’s not getting back as much as he should because the bank lost the paperwork. I told him to get the bank info, name, account. When he meets him to get the check and he was told he can’t get any bank statements cause he waived any further dealings or something like that. What do we do?

Asked on March 21, 2018 under Personal Injury, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Prior to retaining an attorney, your son should contact the bank and try to obtain the bank statements himself because that story about the bank losing the paperwork is not credible.  If your son is unsuccessful in trying to obtain the bank statements, he should retain an attorney to obtain the bank statements.  Based on the bank statements, your son may have a case for suing the first attorney for fraud.  If a lawsuit for fraud is warranted, your son should also contact the State Bar of Colorado and file a complaint against the first attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption