Is it better to apply for a name change before or after my green card interview?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it better to apply for a name change before or after my green card interview?

I need information about name change process. I got married 6 months ago in the U.S. and I applied for a green card on 4 months ago. My interview it will be next month. The problem is that I have 5 surnames including my husband’s and the immigration office sent me my work permission with only my 2 first surnames because it didn’t fit on the card of course. My is it better to apply for a name change before or after I get my green card? Is it better to chante my

name before the enterview? I really don’t know what to do.

Asked on May 18, 2016 under Immigration Law, Hawaii


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your name can be changed as part of the green card process.  If you did not already indicate the new name as you would like for it to appear on your documents on the applications when you filed, you can probably do that when you are interviewed.  There is really no better or worse time.  it is also not required at any time.  It is really a matter of your preference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption