N-400 Filing

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

N-400 Filing

Hi, I’ll be eligible to file for citizenship by the end of this month. I’ll be on
vacation for the 6-7 weeks starting from next week. I don’t want to apply before
leaving and miss the finger printing appointment. Will it be ok to complete my
application and leave it with a friend and ask him to post it in 3 weeks while i’m
on vacation?

Asked on November 9, 2016 under Immigration Law, Kentucky


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you have to be physically present in the country in order to file for your naturalization.  It cannot be filed while you are abroad.  you can simply wait and file it when you return to the US.  the few weeks while you are gone will not make a difference in terms of processing times.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption