What are our rights if my wife’s ear drum ruptured 9 years ago and she’s had problems ever since due to malpractice?

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our rights if my wife’s ear drum ruptured 9 years ago and she’s had problems ever since due to malpractice?

Her doctor repeatedly told her he saw nothing and nothing was wrong. She suffers pain, hearing loss, and migraines. She recently went to a new doctor and found her ear drum is nearly gone and she has staff infection to the mastoid bone along with tenitis. She needs 2 surgeries, one on her nasal passage and one on her ear. Is there anything legally that can be done. I feel her old doctor should have caught this.

Asked on June 18, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, your wife will not be able to file a medical malpractice claim because her claim is barred by the statute of limitations.

In Ohio, the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit in a medical malpractice case is one year from when the patient discovers or reasonably should have discovered the injury or at most four years from the date of the action that caused the injury.

Since nine years have elapsed, the statute of limitations has tolled (expired) and your wife won't be able to sue her doctor for negligence (medical malpractice).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption