My wife moved out. Can she still get the house?

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My wife moved out. Can she still get the house?

Well my mother died and the lady I was seeing for 3 yrs wanted to pay her last respects and my wife threw a fit and left and she hasn’t been back and I been paying on the house well for 25 years, even when I moved out, I paid for it. Can she get the house even though she can’t afford it?

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Family Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm afraid that your question would have to be answered as part of the bigger picture, the whole divorce.  And that will mean that someone will have to review all of the facts of your financial situation and your wife's, before you can get advice you can rely on.

A good divorce lawyer knows that there are a number of ways to approach dividing up property of a marriage.  If she can't afford to keep the house and you want it, there could be a good chance that it can be arranged.  One place to find a qualified attorney is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption