If my wife makes 3 times what I do, can I get alimony and do I pay child support?

UPDATED: May 2, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 2, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife makes 3 times what I do, can I get alimony and do I pay child support?

She makes $200,000; I make $65,000. Can I get alimony and do I pay child support?

Asked on May 2, 2019 under Family Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) Alimony: you will likely be entitled to alimony, since as you point out, your wife earns 3x what you do and presumably provides the bulk of the family's income and support. A wife earning 3x what the husband earns should be treated the same as a husband earning 3x what the wife does, which almost always results in alimony. There is no legal basis for treating a high-earning wife differently than a high-earning husband.
2) Child support is paid by the noncustodial parent to the custodial one. The issue is, who will get child custody? That is typically the parent who has been more responsible for and spent more time on child care, though other factors (like criminal record, if any; addictions or health issues, if any; where that parent intends to live post-divorce [since the courts don't like to uproot children]; etc.) will also be taken into account in determining what custodial arrangement is best for the children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption