If my wife left me a year ago, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife left me a year ago, what are my rights?

My wife asked me to move out a year ago. I refused, stating that I would not abandon my family. She then 2 months later moved out and has not made any substantial moves to either come back nor attend marital counseling. We both are not perfect, however, I want my marriage to work and I feel that I am trying it all myself. What are my rights to our 2 children and the properties that we jointly own?

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation as it stands.  It is very difficult to try alone.  That being said, as a general rule you and your wife have equal rights to the property and the children.  In Illinois property is distributed unde rthe equitable distribution standard.  Equitable does not mean eual.  If she has not contributed to the obligations of the house, etc., in the two years you can ask for a set off for her portion.  I would strongly suggest seeking legal help at this point in time.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption