If my wife is severly bi-polar, is it possible for her to give me power of attorney to at least force her to go to the emergency room for an evaluation?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife is severly bi-polar, is it possible for her to give me power of attorney to at least force her to go to the emergency room for an evaluation?

I’m not looking for power to commit her or anything like that. I just need the ability to force her to go to the hospital and be evaluated. The police can but will not force her during an episode unless she is deemed to be a danger to herself or others.

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your wife is severly bi-polar whether or not she can sign a valid power of attorney depends upon whether or not her treating physician deems her competent mentally to sign a power of attorney.

You need to consult with your wife's treating physician as to her competency to sign such a document and obtain a written document stating that she is competent to sign any and all legal documents. Once obtained, you need to consult with legal counsel concerning the preparation of the requested power of attorney and have a meeting with her, yourself and the attorney to go over what is needed in the power.

If she is not capable of signing a power of attorney and is a danger to herself and others per her treating physician, you may need to petition for a conservatorship for her.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption