If my wife is in jail, as her husband do I have the legal right to know her medical status?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife is in jail, as her husband do I have the legal right to know her medical status?

My wife was arrested for domestic violence. She is now in the local jail and is asking me to bail her out. She is claiming that the medical staff are telling her that she is pregnant. I don’t know if she is telling the truth or not. I have asked the jail to provide me with her information to find out if it is true. The jail refuses to release any information. Do I have the legal right as her husband to demand the release of her medical information? If I do, how do I go about it?

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Due to Federal Law, the jail will not be able to release your wife's medical information to you without your wife's consent. Your best route is to contact the jail to see what your options are in obtaining your wife's written consent for the jail to release her medical information to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption