What can we do if my wife’s termination date has been moved up?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do if my wife’s termination date has been moved up?

My wife is being fired from her job of 19 years due to the boss’s wife finding

out about their short affair. My wife was initially told that she wouldn’t be fired but then was told that she had 3 months to leave. Now they are telling her to go by next week. They are telling her to sign papers and she’s leaving. We need help. We have texts and emails of documentation that she wouldn’t be fired and she had 3 months.

Asked on February 25, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless there was a contractual obligation on her employer's part regarding her continued employment and, later, her departure date (e.g. in an employment contract or union agreement, etc.), it was merely an unenforceable promise and proposed termination date, respectively. The fact is that an "at will" worker can be discharged for any reason or nor reason at all, with or without notice. Accordingly, your wife's company can set the conditions of employment (and dismissal) much as it sees fit, absent some form of legally actionable discrimination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption