What to do if my wife has some unpaid medical bills that are showing up on my credit report?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my wife has some unpaid medical bills that are showing up on my credit report?

I live in a community property state. Are they allowed to put her debts onto my credit report? Is there a way to have this removed? A preliminary internet search says both spouses are responsible for the debt but I have not been able to find a definitive answer to the credit report questions.

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, Arizona is a community property state.  And yes, if she is still your wife, then you are responsible for her bills, just as she would be for yours.  Obviously, this can therefore show up on your credit report.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption