my wife has left and is in the uk I have her fathers address and he knows where she is but will not tell me can i send the papers to him

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

my wife has left and is in the uk I have her fathers address and he knows where she is but will not tell me can i send the papers to him

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Family Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

According to the Arizona Rules of Civil Procedure:

Unless otherwise provided by federal law, service upon an individual from whom a waiver has not been obtained and filed, other than an infant or an incompetent person, may be effected in a place not within any judicial district of the United States:

  • by any internationally agreed means reasonably calculated to give notice, such as those means authorized by the Hague Convention on the Service Abroad of Judicial and Extrajudicial Documents; or
  • if there is no internationally agreed means of service or the applicable international agreement allows other means of service, provided that service is reasonably calculated to give notice:
    1. in the manner prescribed by the law of the foreign country for service in that country in an action in any of its courts of general jurisdiction; or
    2. as directed by the foreign authority in response to a letter rogatory or letter of request; or
    3. unless prohibited by the law of the foreign country, by
    4. delivery to the party to be served personally of a copy of the summons and of the pleading; or
    5. any form of mail requiring a signed receipt, to be addressed and dispatched by the clerk of the court to the party to be served; or
  • by other means not prohibited by international agreement as may be directed by the court.

As you can see it gets a little complicated.  You should really consult with an attorney on this.  If money is an issue try legal aid or see if they can recommend a free or low cost legal clinic to help you.  If you live near a law school many times they will have legal clinics that handle divorce matters.  Since proper service of process is critical to your divorce action you want to make sure that you get it right.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption