If my wife has asked me to leave and threatens divorce, will I loose all rights to the house if I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife has asked me to leave and threatens divorce, will I loose all rights to the house if I do?

Both or names are on the house, the mortgage is in mine only. Should tell her that I have just as much right to be there as she does. I’m hoping all this will blow over in a few days but just in case it doesn’t, I’m not sure what I should do to protect myself.

Asked on November 18, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Until a divorce decree is issued or there is a court order or separation agreement in effect, you both have equal rights to the house since it is still considered to be the "marital residence". This is true no matter whose name the deed is in.
Additionally, it's not a good idea to leave until there a separation agreement or the like in place that addresses just who has the use and control of the residence. If you leave, this fact might be used against you. Additionally, she could obtain a court order and get exclusive occupancy of the house which could mean that she would be allowed to live in the house and prohibit you from returning.
At this point you should consult directly with a local divorce attorney as they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption