If my wife had money stolen fro her at work but was told not to call the police because they would handle it, can she be fired if I report?

UPDATED: May 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife had money stolen fro her at work but was told not to call the police because they would handle it, can she be fired if I report?

She has been receiving threatening notes from an unknown co-worker (4 of them to date) and this last time $200 was stolen from her wallet as well. The notes were turned in to her boss and she was told it “would be taken care of”. She expressed a desire to call the police and report the theft but they told her not to and that she should wait for one of her bosses instead.

Asked on May 7, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is entirely possible for your wife to end up being terminated if you or some third person reports the theft of $200 from work to law enforcement where to date her employer has taken the approach of "taking care of the situation".

Assuming she gets terminated for some one reporting the theft your wife may have a valid complaint against her employer for retaliating against her for such and reporting the threatening notes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption