If my wife fell at a friend’s lake house and broke her arm, should I contact an attorney or ask his insurance company for pain and suffering?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife fell at a friend’s lake house and broke her arm, should I contact an attorney or ask his insurance company for pain and suffering?

It has been 7 weeks and she is going for a second opinion next week. At her last visit to the doctor he said it was not heeling as well as expected. Now we are thinking that there is additional damage to the shoulder. She has been sleeping in recliner and cannot sleep in bed. We have not had marital relations during that time. If I do sue, am I suing my friend or his insurance company?

Asked on September 4, 2014 under Personal Injury, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Why would you sue--what did your friend do wrong? A property owner is not responsible to pay for his or her guests' injuries simply because the guest was injured on the homeowner's property. Rather, there must be fault, such as having an unreasonably dangerous condition  which the homeowner was, or normally should have been, aware of. So, say that the stair rail at the friend's house was loose or rotten, and the friend knew or should have known it (because it was so obvious or visible)--if that's why your wife fell, the friend may be liable. But if your wife fell through no fault of your friend, your friend would not be responsible for her injuries.

If you do think there are grounds to hold your friend liable, you could ask him to put a claim into the insurer--but he does not have to; and even if he does, they may not pay. If you don't receive compensation voluntarily from the friend or his insurer, the only way to force them to pay is to sue your friend (not his insurer; you sue him, then the insurer should step in to defend and indemnify) in court and win.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption