What to do if my wife bought a car a year ago and I was signed as the primary loan holder without my knowledge?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my wife bought a car a year ago and I was signed as the primary loan holder without my knowledge?

I was on active duty a year ago during which time my wife purchased a new car. On record they have me as the primary loan holder and my wife as the secondary. Most of the documents pertaining to the purchase of the car have my signature forged on them. I did not sign anything for the car nor did I sign a power of attorney. I let them copy my ID when I returned from duty thinking that it was for insurance purposes. Is there any legal action I could take, without getting my wife in trouble, to get out of the loan and what would be the consequences for the dealership and my wife?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under General Practice, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you want to get out of the loan where you are the main obligor, you can contact the lender and advise it that your signatures on the loan documents were forged and you were on active duty when they were signed.

The problem is that most likely your wife will end up getting into some sort of a pickle over her signing your name without your knowledge or authorization. The more time that passes after you know about the signing of your name without your authorization and you not contesting it, the harder it will be for you to try to get your name released as being obligated under the loan.

If it comes to the dealership's attention that she forged your signature on the loan, there is the possibility of criminal charges being filed against her. Given the downside of your situation, I would try and get the car paid off as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption