What to do if my wife and I are separated and she totaled a vehicle that was in both of our names?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my wife and I are separated and she totaled a vehicle that was in both of our names?

My wife and I have been separated for over 4 1/2 years. We never finalized our divorce or settled property. She totaled a vehicle that was in both of our names. Am I legally entitled to a part of the almost 14k? Doesn’t the check have to be cut to both of us?

Asked on September 9, 2012 under Family Law, Louisiana


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have an interest in the 14k, but to assert your interest in the property, you would need to file for divorce.  If you already had divorce proceeding pending, then you would need to get that moving again so that you could make a claim for part of the 14k before she uses it to buy a new vehicle.  Louisiana has a fifty-fifty or equal division standard, which means the courts are supposed to value property and divide it as equally as possible.  If the court finds that you already have 14k worth of assets, then the court may allow her too keep the entire 14k.  Even if you don't get a portion of the 14k, you still want to finalize the divorce so that you do not get saddled with any of her debts or liabilities.

The second part of your question is regarding  the check.... the insurance company is only required to submit a check to their insured or the person making the claim (for example, if she had hit another person, the other person would be a claimant)  If you're neither, then they do not have to include you in on the check.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption