If my wife and I have been here is the 33 years on a valid green card, what is the process for obtaining citizenship?

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife and I have been here is the 33 years on a valid green card, what is the process for obtaining citizenship?

We can’t procrastinate anymore. How will the entire process take and the costs associated with counsel, immigration fees, etc?

Asked on October 5, 2014 under Immigration Law, Connecticut


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As long as the conditions for naturalization have been satisfied, the process of applying for and obtaining US citizenship is the same as it was 33 years ago. :-)� YOur wife would have to file the application and pay the filing fee, then go through fingerprinting and attend the interview with USCIS about 4-5 months after filing, at which time she will need to answer questions about the application as well as pass a US history/civics test consisting of a few questions.� If all is ok, she will be approved and a few weeks to a few months later she will be scheduled for an oath ceremony, at which she will actually become a US citizen.� The process can be done on your own or with an immigration attorney if you are more comfortable with that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption