If my wife and I are starting an acupuncture practice, what should be do regarding the set-up?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife and I are starting an acupuncture practice, what should be do regarding the set-up?

What we are looking is for is a way for us, as a married couple. to organize our business as sole proprietors, both work under the same DBA, and have an EIN number that we can use when dealing with insurance companies. Can we each be a sole proprietor operating under the Same DBA? Can we each have our own EIN Numbers for dealing with insurance, and still operate under the same DBA? If we establish ourselves as a sole proprietor entity using only SS#s, can we then apply for an EIN Number that will cover both of us?

Asked on October 2, 2014 under Business Law, California


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You really should form a limited liability company with each of you as members.  This would protect your personal assets from exposure if anyone ever sues your business.  If you do not know how to do this in your state, seek out a consultation with an attorney who does business formation.  Spending a few hundred dollars now to do this right could save you tens of thousands in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption