If my wife and I are getting divorced and we want custody of our child to be even, can a child have 2 primary guardians?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife and I are getting divorced and we want custody of our child to be even, can a child have 2 primary guardians?

What steps do I take to make it happen?

Asked on October 1, 2012 under Family Law, Mississippi


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Every family court actually prefers agreements, when possible, by parents.  You can have joint conservators by filing your divorce and then presenting an agreed order that sets out how visitation will go between both parents in a way that is in the best interest of the child.  Any family law attorney can help you with the drafting of an order.  There are some online forms that can be helpful as well.  Even though parents strive for joint managing custody, the main issue that comes into play is "who will have the right to determine the primary residence of the child."  This becomes an even bigger issue when one parent wants to relocate.  So as you and your ex- are working out the custody agreement, you may want to build in how you will both deal with this situation while you are both in cooperation mode. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption