My well maintained Toyota Corolla DX 1992 was hit while parked. It is in very good running condition and is my and wives work car.

UPDATED: May 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My well maintained Toyota Corolla DX 1992 was hit while parked. It is in very good running condition and is my and wives work car.

Now, it will take me two hours to get to work. How do I get the most for my car, things to include in my claim?Fwasani

Asked on May 24, 2009 under Accident Law, Washington


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming you have no rental car coverage on your policy,  hence the two hours is by public transit.  I also assume your car was totaled.  Insurance companies typically use the Kelley Blue Book to find the actual cash value (ACV) of vehicles, and then add on for additional features.  If there are features of your car you want to make sure they include, provide them with that information.  You can also do your homework by checking online and in newspapers for cars of the same make, model and year, in the same general condition as yours, and provide price information to the adjuster.  You can also call around to used car dealers and see what your car would go for on the used car market. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption