My vacation hours 169 never were paid.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My vacation hours 169 never were paid.

I worked for a company for more than 23 years, I used to save my vacation hours
for later used, never have any problem, so this year I changed job in June 2018, I
asked my employer to pay my vacation hours saved it, send certified letter and so
far no answer, what can I do to get pay? i had proof in my check stubs how many
hrs had been save.

Asked on October 14, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your state (CA) requires that earned but unused vacation time be paid out when at the end of employment: it is considered equivalent to wages you have earned. You can try filing a complaint with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement: they may help you get the money. Alternately, you could sue your former employer for the money. If the amount at stake is equal to or less than your state's small claims limit, a "pro se" (as your own attorney) small claims lawsuit is a fast, cost-effective  option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption