My uncle is not including my mom in trust info. what can she do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My uncle is not including my mom in trust info. what can she do?

My uncle is my grandpa’s power of attorney. My grandpa passed away in July, 2017.
He left my mom money which my uncle gives her each month, via direct deposit of
1,000. He threatened at one point to withhold it because he was unhappy with a
dirty home which my sister caused. Also, there is our duplex which we were buying
from my grandpa loan from his bank and his house that was paid off. My uncle
said there is no reading of the will because everything was put into the trust.
My mom has no idea what was actually left to her. How can she legally find this
out and recover her inheritance? Thank you.

Asked on October 26, 2017 under Estate Planning, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your Mom needs to hire an attorney asap to write a letter to your Uncle.  If everything was placed in to a Trust and he is the Trustee and she is a beneficary of the Trust, she has a right to see it.  He is playing games and I'm afraid he may not be acting properly as a fiduciary.  Go get her help. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption