If my uncle died about 7 months ago, how can I find out if he has a registered Will and how can I obtain it?

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my uncle died about 7 months ago, how can I find out if he has a registered Will and how can I obtain it?

No Will has surfaced but in no way would he have not made one. Now, a niece is attempting to split up money from his estate and not mentioning any Will.

Asked on November 21, 2013 under Estate Planning, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Has the niece been appointed as executrix or administrator? If so, then the will has been probated. If you believe you are a beneficiary, you may wish to review the records in the probate court in the county in which he resided. The court will have a record of the filed will for probate. You can then purchase a copy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption