What to do if my uncle died a year and a half ago everything has been taken care of but a claim of $22,000 which my aunt refuses to pay?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my uncle died a year and a half ago everything has been taken care of but a claim of $22,000 which my aunt refuses to pay?

How long can she hold up the the distribution of the estate? My aunt gets 1/2, my sister and I the other half. My sister and I just want it over but my aunt could care less. Can I do anything or does she still have total control?

Asked on January 4, 2013 under Estate Planning, Florida


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

As a beneficiary, you can take action to force your aunt to close out the estate.  There are time limits for reviewing and resolving claims.  However, if your aunt had a legitimate reason to dispute the $22,000 claim, it could take some time to resolve it.  This is a significant sum of money and litigation may even be necessary.

I suggest you call the attorney for the estate and ask about this.  If you are not satisfied with the answer, consult a probate attorney in your area to find out what you and your sister can do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption