What to do if my uncle bought EE savings bonds for my 2 daughters over the past 10 or so years but the payees are made out differently?

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my uncle bought EE savings bonds for my 2 daughters over the past 10 or so years but the payees are made out differently?

They are addressed to me but their names are at the bottom; 2 say “with” and the others say “POD” with my daughter’s name listed depending on whom it was given to. My name is not listed at the bottom. Are they considered mine? I’ve read I can cash them in so that worries me into thinking the trustee would count them as mine.

Asked on October 23, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the issue is to call a representative of the United States Treasury about your question ans see if the series EE bonds can be returned by you since you have them in your possession and new ones issued to your daughters made out in exchange since their names are referenced at the bottom of the documents. If that can be done, then your problem is solved.

If that cannot be done, get written authorization from the trustee that you have written about confirming that the bonds are in fact your daughters and not yours and you can cash them in for your daughters' behalves.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption