What canI do if my 2 vehicles were hit by a drunk driver who had no insurance?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do if my 2 vehicles were hit by a drunk driver who had no insurance?

My 2 vehicles were hit in a DUI/ hit and run. The guy was arrested, but the owner didn’t have insurance and I only had liability on both vehicles. 1of the vehicles is inoperable and for the other I got estimate and the value exceeds the damage. The owner was the person serving the driver alcohol but says the accident wasn’t her fault. What can I do to either get the vehicles repaired or replaced?

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Speak with an attorney specializing in auto accidents. Here are some possibilities:

1) From what you right, it sounds like the driver was not the owner. If so, you could sue the driver as well as the owner. If the driver has auto insurance, his policy may pay.

2) Whether or not the owner or the driver (or both) is being sued, insurance helps guarantee that there's money to collect--but you CAN sue people who have no insurance. (e.g. they can liable regardless of their insurance status.) If they don't have income or assets, it's not worthwhile; but if they have decent jobs, you may be able to garnish income; if they have assets (savings, a house, etc.) you may be able to collect from those assets. An experienced attorney can help you determine if it's worth pursuing these people.

3) *Sometimes* it is possible to sue a social host who serves alchohal to an obviously drunk guest who then causes an accident DUI. If you can do this, you might be able to access the host's homeowner's insurance (if any) in addition to auto insurance. Your attorney will know if this is possible in your case. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption