If my tenant/roommate was evicted and is now suing me for missing items, what can I do?

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my tenant/roommate was evicted and is now suing me for missing items, what can I do?

My tenant/roommate was evicted for not paying rent and I had to file a restraining order against her. I delivered all her belongings to her after mediation. She is now claiming she is “missing” things in her personal property that she never had and she is suing me for the cost of those items. While she lived with me, she lied and stole from me prior to being evicted for not paying the rent. She has fabricated evidence and lied to the police about what she is missing. What can I do?

Asked on December 26, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you're being sued, you can defend yourself by providing evidence and testimony, including your own testimony, that she never had those items--and remember: to recover money from you, the burden of proof is on her to prove by a preponderence of the evidence (more likely than not) that she had the items and that you lost or stole them.

Furthermore, if she stole from you, or owes you rent which she did not pay, you can countersue her for those things.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption