How do I ask a tenant to vacate?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I ask a tenant to vacate?

My tenant, who was an annual lease which ended last year, has since been on a verbal month-to-month lease. He has been very abusive and not cooperating with me. I would like to ask him to vacate. How to go about it?

Asked on January 9, 2013 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The way to terminate the lease of the verbally abusive tenant that you have who is on a month-to-month lease is to send him or her a written thirty (30) day notice of termination of such. Keep a copy for future use and need. If the tenant does not vacate then you need to file an eviction action against him or her.

If matters come to that point, you should consult a landlord tenant attorney for assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption