What are my rights regarding my late father’s Trust?

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding my late father’s Trust?

My step-dad passed away in late last month. His Will that states that I am the Executive of the will. My step-sister told me yesterday that he had a family trust. Stating she is the Trustee and her sister is the Successor. The trustee told me that I was not mentioned in my step-dad’s family Trust. He raised me from a girl and we were very close. I am confused. Do I have any legal rights?

Asked on December 19, 2013 under Estate Planning, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

A trust is like a contract, in that it is governed by the terms of the documents creating it: if you were not mentioned as a beneficiary of the trust, then you would have no rights to it, regardless of family relationship, personal history, etc. If you do not believe your step-sister and think she may be hiding something from you--such as that you do receive something from the trust--speak with a trusts and estates attorney about how to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption