If my starting rate was $13 an hour but my boss cut my pay by $3.50 an hour, is this legal for her to do?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my starting rate was $13 an hour but my boss cut my pay by $3.50 an hour, is this legal for her to do?

I work in a retail store and was hired almost 1 1/2 years ago. My pay was $13 since my start date until last month. I was told in passing by my boss that it was happening but she never informed me of when it would take place.

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is not illegal that she cut your salary, since $9.5 is still above minimum wage of this state. Many employers required employees to take pay cut or benefit cut during tough times. You should ask why she is cutting your salary and when it would happen.

The other thing keep in mind is that if this is not performance based and you are the only one among others to be cut, then there could be a potential problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption