If my wife and I got a house after we got married but it’s not in my name yet I made all the payments, am I entitled to a share of it?

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife and I got a house after we got married but it’s not in my name yet I made all the payments, am I entitled to a share of it?

It is in her and her grandmother’s names. We got the house 6 years ago and closed on it after we were married.

Asked on June 30, 2015 under Family Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Community property is property acquired during marriage.  Each spouse has a one half interest in the community property.

Separate property is property acquired before marriage or after the marriage ends.  A spouse has no claim to the other spouse's separate property.

The house is community property since it was purchased during marriage.  The payments you made on the house are community property since those payments are from income duirng marriage. 

Therefore, you are entitled to a share of the house.  There would need to be an apportionment to protect the grandmother's interest in the house apart from you and your spouse's community property share of the house.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption