If my soon-to-be ex boyfriend and I own a home together, how do I get out of it?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my soon-to-be ex boyfriend and I own a home together, how do I get out of it?

My home is in both of our names. I want to get out of the mortgage. I want to sell the house but he doesn’t. He does not have good credit and would not be able to refinance in his name. I do, but he is not willing to let me have the house. We recently refinanced and he put down a large amount of money so we could do that. I do not have the money to pay him back what he put into it.

Asked on October 28, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Since you doesn't have good credit his refinancing is out of the question.  Possibly, you could try a "novation". What this would entail is asking your lender to remove your name from the mortgage.  As a practical matter this isn't typically allowed but you could try. A novation could be accomplished by your ex-boyfriend paying the mortgage for a period of time genrally (8-12 months), then if he is current, had no late payments, and can prove that he was the only one paying the mortgage, your lender may allow you to remove your name.  Also, you may be able to obtain a novation if your ex-partner "buys" your release by making a substantial payment to reduce the mortgage balance.  Obviously this would all require your ex's cooperation.

If that doesn't seem to be an option, you can go to court and file for a "partition" action. In cases where co-owners cannot agree on the whether or not to sell a jointly owned piece of real estate, the party seeking the sale can go to court and have the land divided or sold. Since this is a single family residence and cannot be divided, a “partition by sale” can be ordered by the court. Once the property is sold, the proceeds are equitably distributed to the owners.  Additionally, before a sale would be ordered, the court would permit the non-filing co-owner (ie your ex) to purchase the your interest for fair market value.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption