My sons heritarance

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My sons heritarance

My sons father died in a car accident his father
and o were never married we have been told
the estate has been settled my son and I were
told that they cant discuss this we want to how
were my sons money is and what age he gets
it and we are not getting anywhere

Asked on March 12, 2018 under Estate Planning, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Ok so your son should have been the one who brought the suit since he is the only one under the law entitled to do so unless your ex was supportng others in an economic sense.  You need to go to court to ave yourself decalred his legal guardian (you are his "natural" guardian but as his legal gardian you can act and ask questions on his behalf).  The you need to get a lawyer to make some calls and write some letters for you.  If your son was acknowledged by his father during his lifetime then you should be good to go.  If not, you may have to bring on a paternity determination proceeding.  But you and he need legal help asap.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption