If I wrote a bad check to my son’s daycare and they gave a copy of it to my mother, do I have any rights?

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I wrote a bad check to my son’s daycare and they gave a copy of it to my mother, do I have any rights?

What can I do about this because were in a custody over my son.

Asked on July 24, 2011 Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, you would have no rights against the daycare, except if your mother then used the bank account information on the check improperly (e.g. took money out of your account, transfered money to a different account, etc.)--in that case, besides suing your  mother for theft, you might be able to sue the day care for negligence, since their carelessness in giving her the check enabled the loss. Other than that, though, there is no cause of action: there is no right of privacy in the fact that someone wrote a bad check, and therefore not ability to recover for a violation of privacy if someone provides evidence or proof of that bad check to another person. Sometimes people and business do things wrong but you can't recover compensation for it--not every wrong is compensible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption