My sons cremains have been stolen by my ex landlord he is demanding that i pay him money before he will return them to me what can i charge him with

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My sons cremains have been stolen by my ex landlord he is demanding that i pay him money before he will return them to me what can i charge him with

My ex landlord has stolen my sons ashes
and demanding money before he will
return them what can i charge him with

Asked on October 31, 2017 under Criminal Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) File a police report and press charges for theft: this is stealing. There is NO law allows a landlord or ex-landlord to hold you property hostage for money. Even if you did owe him something, his legal option is to sue you for it. With theft charges filed, they may return the remains.
2) File a legal action, such as in chancery court (a part of county court) seeking a court order requiring their returns (chancery is the division of court that typically deals with orders, not awarding money judgments). You can file this on an "emergent" basis, to get into court much faster than usual. A lawyer would be very helpful in doing this, but you can do it yourself if you want to or can't afford a lawyer: go to the court clerk's office and explain that your ex-landlord has stolen propety (the cremains) from you and will not return them; the clerk should be able to provide forms and instructions.
The above options are not either/or--you can and should pursue both at once.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption