What can be done if my son is turning 14 and has been asking to come live with me?

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if my son is turning 14 and has been asking to come live with me?

My son will turn 14 in 2 months and he has been asking to come live with me when he turns that age. Is there any paperwork that I will have to fill out though the courts. Also, how will I be able to get my child support lowered when he does?

Asked on November 15, 2011 under Family Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Although you do not come out right and state it, I am assuming that you are his Father - and by that I mean not his Mother - correct?  It is often quite usual that a same sex child would want to reside with the same sex parent once the teenage years hit.  I am also going to assume that when you and his Mother divorced that there was an agreement entered in to that covered the custody and support you speak of.  So what you have to do is to go to court and ask that the Judge modify the agreement to allow for a change in custody and support.  Generally speaking there has to be a change in circumstances to make the request.  Your son wishing to live with you is probably enough.  He is also old enough to speak with the Judge and to have his request given weight in the determination.  He needs to understand that there has to be a good reason for the wanting to live with you and not "my mother is too strict" or "we just don't get along."  But rather he is entering his teen years and becoming a man and wants to live with his Dad and forge a relationship more than on the weekends.  Get help.  Good luck.

PS your ex can agree to it too and save you a lot of legal fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption