What can be done if my 20 year old son is living with his grandmother but has overstayed his welcome?

UPDATED: May 16, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 16, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if my 20 year old son is living with his grandmother but has overstayed his welcome?

He does not pay rent or for any other amenities. We wish to have him removed from the premises. How can we have him legally removed?

Asked on May 16, 2014 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is no agreement for him to pay rent, he is not a tenant--he is a guest. A guest can be asked to leave at any time by a person who has possesion of the premises (e.g. by his grandmother, if it's her home; you cannot require him to leave, however, unless you either are part owner of the home or otherwise have authority, such as a POA, from the grandmother to do so). If the guest will not leave, you can remove him by filing an action for ejectment, which is basically eviction for non-tenants, in court. An ejectment action can be somewhat tricky to properly file; you are advised to retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption