If my son was mauled by my bosses dog at her house, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son was mauled by my bosses dog at her house, what are my rights?

I went to my new employer’s house to fill out paperwork. I took my son as he’s been there many times with my mom while she was housesitting. We spent a few minutes in the backroom. My 8 year old son peered out the back door as it was a glass type screen door; he was looking for the goats that he feeds when he’s there. Then my employer and I stepped into the next room to do the paperwork. We heard the back door open and close and my employer asked,

Asked on May 23, 2016 under Personal Injury, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The owners of the dog are liable for your son's injuries.  Prior to filing a lawsuit against the owners, it may be possible to settle the case with their homeowner's insurance carrier.  Notify the homeowner's insurance carrier in writing of your son's personal injury claim.
When your son completes his medical treatment and is released by the doctor or is declared by the doctor to be permanent and stationary, which means having reached a point in his medical treatment where no further improvement is anticipated, obtain his medical bills and medical reports.  Your son's personal injury claim filed with the homeowner's insurance carrier should include those items.  It would also be advisable to have your son see a psychiatrist or psychologist regarding his emotional trauma and nightmares caused by the dog attack.  Those medical bills and medical reports should also be included in your son's personal injury claim filed with the homeowner's insurance carrier. 
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of his injuries and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.
If the case is settled with the homeowner's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the homeowner's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit on behalf of your son against the homeowners for negligence and strict liability.
Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable dog owner would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).  Strict liability imposes liability whether or not due care was exercised.  Strict liability is applicable because the dog has a history of biting.  Negligence and strict liability are separate causes of action (claims) in the lawsuit.
You will need to be appointed guardian ad litem to file a lawsuit on behalf of your son because he is a minor.
If the case is NOT settled with the homeowner's insurance carrier, your son's lawsuit must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or your son will lose his rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption